Audio and Video
• Thursday 8 February, 7:30pm; With Duncan Mercredi; DreamPlay Small Concerts, presented at Eckhardt Hall, Winnipeg Art Gallery
Wolfman stories, songs and poems, with music.
Details & Tickets: https://dreamplay.ca/node/413/
• Thursday 21 March, 7:30pm; With Margaret Sweatman and the Broken Songs Band; DreamPlay Small Concerts, presented at Eckhardt Hall, Winnipeg Art Gallery
Poetry, prose and lyrics, with music, with a special feature: a new song cycle written by Margaret Sweatman with composer, Glenn Buhr
Details & Tickets: https://dreamplay.ca/node/414/
• Sunday 21 April, 7:00pm; The Buhr Quartet; Presented by Jazz Winnipeg at The Fort Garry Hotel
Improvisational jazz, with Al Beardsell (guitar), Paul Balcain, (sax), and Gilles Fournier (bass)
Details & Tickets TBA
• Thursday 9 May, 7:30pm; With singer/songwriter John Wiens and percussionist, Victoria Sparks; DreamPlay Small Concerts, presented at Eckhardt Hall, Winnipeg Art Gallery
Songs (written and performed by John), solos (performed by Victoria), and some new-music surprises
Details & Tickets:https://dreamplay.ca/node/415/
Glenn Buhr has a broad and various musical life. He’s a composer of concert and stage music for symphony orchestras, ballet companies, string quartets and mixed chamber ensembles. He's also a jazz pianist and guitarist, a rock musician, and a singer/songwriter. He became well known in Canada in the mid-80′s when the Toronto and Montreal Symphony Orchestras first championed his work, and in the mid-90′s as front man - with conductor Bramwell Tovey – of the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra’s New Music Festival.
• Here's winter poems, performed by the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra: https://dreamplay.ca/node/185
He's leader of The Button Factory Band, a subversive off-jazz/hard-rock oriented quintet.
• Here's got of war, by The Button Factory Band: https://dreamplay.ca/node/256.)
And he’s developed a reputation as creator of unique remixes of other artists' songs, giving them all his own peculiar compositional voice; he's made creative arrangements and expansions of songs by Jane Siberry, Gordon Lightfoot, Jacques Brel, and Scott Nolan for a collection of artists, including Sarah Slean, Ron Sexsmith, Steven Page, and Madeleine Peyroux. He won the Genie Award for best song from the film Seven Times Lucky in 2005, and he’s the winner two recent SOCAN awards for his music.
• Here's the Genie Award winning song - When Wintertime, from Seven Times Lucky: https://dreamplay.ca/node/229
• Here's a Scott Nolan album with orchestrations by Glenn Buhr: https://dreamplay.ca/node/268
His music has been performed all over the world by a collection of diverse ensembles: the London Sinfonia, the Tokyo Ballet Orchestra, the BBC Symphony, the National Arts Centre Orchestra, the Detroit Symphony Orchestra, pianist Louis Lortie, soprano Tracy Dahl, and many others. In 2003, his full length ballet Beauty and the Beast, (with choreography by David Bentley) was premiered by the Birmingham Royal Ballet in Birmingham, England. The work has toured the UK three times for a total of more than 150 performances. The ballet has also toured to Hong Kong (2005), Japan (2008) and to mainland China (2009), and was re-mounted for a fourth UK tour in 2019. He performed his 4th Symphony - subtitled Guernica 2017 - with the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra and the Button Factory Band in 2017. He's toured Canada twice as a jazz artist.
• Here's a trailer for Beauty and the Beast : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQQVM8b9Eig
Glenn Buhr’s book,
• Here's a link for Our Native Song : https://cpmusiclibrary.ca/product/our-native-song-book-hard-back/